The Development Assistant reports to the President/CEO of the agency and serves as a member of the Fund Development Team.
The Development Assistant will assist in the operating tasks associated with developing and implementing comprehensive Development programs. The person in this position will also serve as a member of the Fund Development Team and assist in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of all donors.
Minimum of a high school diploma or GED with working experience in business administration and public relations plus 5 or more years of progressive responsibility in non-profit fund development.
- Working knowledge of all aspects of development and communications
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Special event planning
- Donor cultivation and stewardship
- Recruitment of corporate partnerships and agency volunteers
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with diverse populations and geographic areas
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and work collaboratively to inspire, motivate and focus internal and external team members to the agreed upon goals.
- Excellent public speaking, presentation and writing skills.
- Detail and result-oriented approach.
- Strong computer skills to include Microsoft word, excel, and power point, access database, donor database, websites, social media and internet access.
- Ability to enthusiastically convey the message of Big Brothers Big Sisters and to work with volunteers is essential for success in this position.
- Must meet all guidelines of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Cumberland & Salem Counties volunteer intake process (e.g.: finger printing and criminal record check, valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, driving record check, personal and professional reference reports, show proof of automobile liability insurance that meets the state standards for bodily injury, property damage and medical liability, etc).
- Must have reliable transportation and be able to cover a large geographic area encompassing Salem and Cumberland Counties.
- Must be willing to have a flexible work schedule that may extend into evening and weekend hours.
- Ability to lift at least 30 pounds.
- Ability to work fast and efficient with minimal supervision.
The person employed in this position will perform the following duties:
- Assist with the development and implementation of the Development Plan including setting goals for the number and types of partnerships – tracking number of contracts, stages of partnership development, and amount of funding.
- Assist with the guidance, facilitation and coordination of the agency’s Special Event Plan including setting goals, maintain donor tracking, record keeping, acknowledgements, follow-up and recognition.
- Assist with the identification and negotiation of corporate, community and institutional partnerships that can provide an ongoing supply of potential volunteers and financial support.
- Assist with the identification, cultivation, and stewardship of all donors.
- Assist with the management of electronic communications via website and social media sources.
- Assist with the management of public relations and marketing such as preparing press releases and newsletters.
- Maintain customer service at levels that meet or exceed expectations of all donors, corporations, schools and institutional partners.
- Assist and provide training to staff, board members and volunteers as required for successful partnership development and event planning.
- Identify and recruit volunteers to support partnership development and event planning.
- Prepare and distribute relevant promotional materials in support of Development and Special Event Planning.
- Represent the agency to the public as requested.
- Develop an understanding and work within the guidelines of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Cumberland & Salem Counties by-laws, policies and procedures, and Big Brothers Big Sisters of America standards and required procedures.
- Complete statistical reports as requested on a monthly and annual basis.
- Attend agency meetings and training sessions as requested.
- Additional duties as requested by the President/CEO, Fund Development Team, or Board of Trustees.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and required skills.
Contents may be subject to change to meet the needs of the organization.